The human race has used metal roofing to protect its inhabitants since they gained the ability to work with it. With time, the world of metal roofing has transformed, providing contractors with impressive and reliable solutions. A standing seam roof is one of these incredible modern roofing options.
Much like any other roofing solution, standing seam roofs have to be done right. One of the main issues is water leaks, which happen when roofs are not watertight. This can lead to potentially extensive and costly repairs, making proactive fixes important.
If you are considering installing standing seam roofing, we have put together a guide on how to watertight it effectively.
How to Watertight A Standing Seam Roof
The following tips on how to watertight a standing seam roof will help you ensure an extended life span and avoid water leak issues.
- Utilize full-length panels: Avoiding panel laps and keeping them to a minimum can be a great preventative measure for keepingissues like leaks at bay. If using panel laps is non-optional for you, use quality sealants and compression fasteners to do the job.
- Exposed fasteners are a big ‘NO’: Even if you use galvanized metal, using exposed fasteners to secure your roofing is never a good idea since these fasteners tend to degenerate quicker than the roofing. This can also impact the life span of your roof and make it susceptible to damage. Therefore, concealed fasteners are alwaysthe best option.
- Utilize roof panels that comply with slope requirements:Many manufacturer warranties have a minimum of 1/2:12. Few companies provide guarantees with a slope as steep as the 1:4:12 required by building codes. This makes sense since the details and seams should be properly watertight to ensure no water seeps in.
- Utilize appropriate air barrier or ventilation:It is common for condensation to occur on the underside of a standing seam roof. Therefore, you must always ensure proper ventilation to avoid moisture accumulation under your roof. The best way to do so is to ventilate the air spaces separating the roof insulation from the panels.
- Avoid exposing sealants:No sealant, whether hybrid, silicone, or urethane, will ever be as effective if it is not protected from UV rays.
- Employ authorized sealants and suitable metal and foam closures:Metal components frequently lack waterproofing information when projects are auctioned. Manufacturers provide closure assemblies required to rake, valley correctly, and seal the ridge. Refer to the company’s shop drawings to choose the right components and their placement.
If you have experience installing roofing or watertighting a standing seam roof before, you may be able to watertight your roof efficiently with the tips we’ve mentioned above. However, if you are inexperienced in this area, it would be best to let professionals do the job to avoid any issues.
Water tightening your standing seam roof is critical to enhancing its lifespan and preventing leaks. This is why using high-quality materials for the job and contacting professionals is important.
If you are looking for a reliable metal roof company in NC, check out Gator Metal Roofing. Our roofing professional’s years of experience make them the ideal candidates to get the job done. Contact us now for more details on our services!